You are here: Home / Trekking / Trekking Huayhuash Alpine Route
Huayhuash Alpine Route
- Duration: 09 Days
- Altitud: 5240 msnm
- Route: Huayhuash Alpine Route
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Season:April - October
This alpine route is one of the most recommendable trails in The Huayhuash Mountains because it´s an incredible adventure. It traverses the base of some magnificent ice pyramids. This trail is more demanding then the classic Huayhuash route: we don’t use mules, although we still have porters that will carry the food, tents, and take care of the service.
This route requires crampons, ice axes, and a small rope, for it has some glacier passes.
Lima – Huaraz ( A Bus transfer, Travel duration around 8 hours or 50 minutes Flight from Lima
Huaraz - Aclimatizzation Churup lake
This is a very good hike for acclimatizing. From Huaraz we go by car to the village of Pitec. On the way we pass several picturesque villages, such as Unchus and Llupa.
At 3850 meter we start our easy hike up to Lake Churup with its blue colors sitting at an altitude of 4440 m underneath snow-capped Churup mountain (5495). The last 100 meter before arriving to the lake involves some scrambling over steep rocks. And then come back to Huaraz for the same way.
- Day 01: Huaraz 3100 m – Llamac 3250 m
We will transfer to South from Huaraz by private transportation. We will walk through the Huaylas Valley to Conococha (4000 m). There, we will enjoy an impressive panorama to Huayhuash Mountain Chain. We will go on till Llamac, our first camping place.
Duration: approx. 4 – 5 hrs (including transportation).
- Day 02: Llamac – Jahuacocha 4050 m
After we will have the breakfast at 8 am, we will start walking on a zigzag trail to Llamac Pass. From there, we will descend to Jahuacocha Lake.Duration: approx. 5 hrs.
- Day 03: Jahuacocha – Rasac Lake 4500 m / Barrosococha Lake 4624 m.
Breakfast at 7:30. We will start ascending on the Lake shore, continuing to Rasac Valley. From there, we will walk 3 more hours till reaching our camping place. Duration: approx. 5 – 6 hrs.
- Day 04: Barrosococha Lake – Rasac Pass 5240 m – Caramarca Lake 4575 m
After an early breakfast at 7 am, we will start ascending to Rasac Pass. We will enjoy a magnificent view of the southern part of Huayhuash Mountains. We will descent through a glacier and moraine to the next camping place. Duration: 7 – 8 hrs.
- Day 05: Caramarca Lake 4575 m – Segya Pass 5100 m – Jurao Lake 4500 m
We will start the day ascending for approx. 3 hours, till getting to Segya Pass. From there, we will have a view towards the Siula Mountain, to its famous eastern face. It was escalated in 1985 by the English mountaineers Joe Simpson and Simpson Yates. Their tragic survival history is told in the book and documentary ‘Touching the Void’.
We will start descending in a crossing, then we will pass a steep part to Sarapococha Lake. This was the camping place for filming the documentary. We will continue to Jurao Lake, our next camping place. Duration: approx. 7 – 8 hrs.
- Day 06: Jurao Lake – Jurao Pass 5050 m
After the breakfast at 8:00 am, we will start walking on the Orillas Lake shore. Then, we will ascend through the moraines of Jurao Mountain till reaching the No Name Pass. From there, we will have a view to the North sides of some mountains – Yerupaja, Siula, Carnicero, Tzacra, Sarapo, Jurao. We will descend to the camping. Duration: approx. 6 – 7 hrs.
- Day 07: Paso Jurao 5050 m – Trapecio Pass 5000 m – Huayhuash 4350 m
We will start with a descent, then we will ascend to Trapecio Pass, from where we’ll have a spectacular view of Trapecio and Puscanturpa Mountains. We will descend to Huyhuash Camp, where we will spend the night.
Duration: approx. 6 – 7 hrs.
- Day 08: Huayhuash 4350 m – Siula Pass 4850 m – Carhuacocha Lake 4100 m
After the breakfast at 7:30 am, we will start ascending towards Siula Pass. From there, we will observe the mountains Jurao, Carnicero, Siula, Yerupaja, Jirishanca. Then we will descend for a few hours towards 3 beautiful Lakes of different colors. We will pass by them on our way to the next camping.
Duration: approx. 7 – 8 hrs.
- Day 09: Carhuacocha 4100 m – Queropalca 3800 m – Huaraz 3100 m
After an early breakfast, we will be descending for approx. 4 – 5 hrs. through Queropalca Valley to the village, where our private transportation will be waiting for us. Duration: approx. 8 – 9 hrs (with transportation).
- Tour of Acclimatization
- Peruvian Local Guide
- Specialised cook
- First-Aid kit
- Private transportation Huaraz / according to the program / Huaraz
- Complete meals during the trekking program
- Entrance fee to the Comunity (Huayhuash)
- Donkey Driver
- Cooking equipment
- Collective technical equipment
- Toilette tent / for 2 Person
- Transfer airport/hotel/airport – Lima
- Nights Hotel in Lima / Double room with breakfast included
- Transfer/bus station/Hotel – Lima
- Bus ticket Huaraz / Lima, executive service in public bus-Movil Tours or Cruz del Sur
- Transfer hotel / busstation – Huaraz in Hotel
- Hotel in Huaraz, according to the program (3 nights). Double room with breakfast included
- Horse (in case of emergency, for trekking)
- Tour of the city
- Travel accident and health insurance
- Food and drink in Lima and Huaraz
- Personal equipment (tent, sleeping bag, backpack, harness, hiking pants, mountain jacket (goretex), hiking shoes, matraz, suitable clothing, personal medicine, crampons, ice axe, sunglasses, etc.)
Prices & Dates
Season:April - October
Dates & Prices:
Off-Price: 000,00 - 000,00 USD from 04 pax, per person
From / To
04.04 - 12.04.2018
Photo and Video